“Any enterprise requiring new clothes is not worth undertaking.”
This list is a guide for 4-7 week campers. Please adjust the numbers for 1-2 week campers except for Linens which apply to all. Keep in mind that 1 week campers do not receive laundry services. Items should be packed in a trunk/footlocker or suitcase + one dufﬂe bag and be clearly labeled. Many of these items can be found second hand and we have included some links for specialty items for your reference.
Please note that it is required to pack daily meds using a free service like PillPak if your camper takes more than one daily medication. It is strongly recommended to use this service or similar regardless. Medications, vitamins, and supplements that are not in an original package and when, applicable, with the camper’s name and dosage will not be accepted.
You may also want to consider treating your camper’s clothing with a premethrin product like Sawyer Products Premium Premethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents. Long pants that tuck into long socks are another preventative to the risk of tick-borne illnesses.
Virginia Law requires that all children age 7 years and younger to be properly secured in a child safety seat or booster seat. There is no height or weight requirement. Be certain to leave a booster seat labelled with your camper’s name if your camper is under 8 years old.
- 6 pairs shorts
- 6-10 short-sleeved shirts (2 white)
- 2 long sleeve shirts
- 4 long pants (1 pair dark in color for campfire)
- 2 pair white shorts
- 3 pajamas (1 warm pair)
- 2 sweatshirts
- 1 fleece or jacket (*dark in color for campfire)
- 10 pair socks
- 10 underwear
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- 1 waterproof shoes / rain boots
- 2 swim suits
- 1 pair tennis shoes (sneakers)
- 1 pair flip flops/crocs (ideal for swimming/showering but not for camp terrain)
- Old tennis shoes/water shoes for tubing
*It is a tradition at the weekly campfire, where campers receive awards for levels passed and recognition of other achievements, that campers and staff wear close-toed shoes and dark colored clothing as a community so that bright clothing does not distract from the campfire.
- Soap / plastic case
- Comb / brush
- Plastic cup
- Plastic bucket or similar to carry/store items
- 1 waterproof watch
- 7 well-fitting, comfortable masks (just in case!)
- Flashlight/head lamp/reading light
- Extra batteries
- Sun hat
- Bug repellent (Picaridin, DEET, etc.)
- Pen / Pencil
- Water bottle
- Hard hat / boots / hard sole tie shoes/ riding pants or extra jeans (if horseback riding)
- 1 pillow
- 2 pillow cases (mandatory regardless of length of session)
- 2 fitted twin/cot sheets (mandatory regardless of length of session)
- 2 flat twin/cot sheets (mandatory regardless of length of session)
- 3 blankets (at least 1 warm)
- 4 towels (2 bath, 2 beach)
- 2 hand towels
- 1 bathrobe or towel wrap
- 2 washcloths
- 2 sturdy nylon laundry bags (1 to send out with dirty laundry and 1 to use when the laundry is out)
- Portable camping chair (e.g. Crazy Creek)
- 11″ Fabric Cube Storage Bin for cabin shelves
- Books to read
- Coloring Books, sudoku, crossword puzzles
- Playing cards
- Hiking boots (for longer hiking trips) *required for OLS Quest
- Sleeping bag *required for OLS Quest
- Tennis racquet & balls
- Ballet/tap/toe shoes
- Musical instrument & music
- Sports Equipment: Hockey/lax stick/softball glove/shin guards
- Nose plugs (for synchro)
- Backpack/frame (for longer hiking trips) *required for OLS Quest
- Ground Cloth/pad for camping overnights
- Costumes for special events (skits, etc.)
- White sundress or similar for the last night of camp (4, 6 & 7 week campers only)
CITs will be required to pack the following items in addition to the standard camper packing list:
- Backpack with frame (35-50 liter capacity)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Hiking boots
- 2 2-liter water bottles / hydration reservoir (e.g. Camelback) with same capacity
- Watch (waterproof recommended)
- Rain pants
- Camping chair (e.g. Crazy Creek)
- Quick-dry camping towel
- Rain-cover for backpack
- Moisture-wicking clothing (synthetic, synthetic blend, or wool): 2 pair underwear, 1 shirt, 1 pair shorts/lightweight pants, 2 pair socks (above the ankle)
- Expensive jewelry, clothing or anything you would be upset if damaged or lost.
- Personal electronics: Radio/CD/MP3/DVD players, iPad, Kindle or Nook
- Any electronic devices with network or internet capabilities
- Candy, gum, snacks
- Weapons, alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs or any other illegal substance.
Camp Carysbrook is not responsible for items that become damaged, lost or stolen.
Participants are responsible for making their own arrangements to pick up any item left at camp.
Linens are best packed in a duffle bag. Clothing and other articles will fit in a foot locker or trunk. Please MARK ALL BAGGAGE. Be sure your camper has the KEYS to all of her baggage.
BUS riders are allowed only 1 trunk, 1 duffle and 1 small carry on bag.
Check the FAQ page for sourcing any of the equipment needs including trunks.
*CAMPERS may occasionally be required to inventory their belongings in the presence of staff, if their health or safety of them or others indicates the need.